Saturday, August 15, 2009
James Smith's Market
There are five buildings that make up the complex on the corner of Cuba and Manners Street in Wellington. This group of buildings is still popularly known as James Smith's.
James Smith purchased the site in 1921 and, in 1932, architects King and Dawson supervised a complete refurbishment of the building, including a new facade.
View of ground floor corridor
The location was formally known as "Winder's Corner".
More in depth information about the history of James Smith's Markets corner site and its association with the Bronte sisters and their friend Mary Taylor can be found on this link. It makes facinating reading.
More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.