Saturday, October 29, 2011
The Petersham Inn at 386 Parramatta Road in Petersham is a fine interwar hotel was designed by Rudder and Grout to replace the existing hotel on the site which had been purchased by Tooth and Company in the 1930s.
In 1940 a major extension to the Phillip street side was built called the Western Lounge. It featured a dramatic Art Deco tower designed by Leslie Soden and remains a local landmark today. A small plaque to the right of the tower notes this information.
In 2001 the site was redeveloped to include 92 luxury apartments and studios while maintaining the hotel's original heritage.
Petersham Inn facade detail
Petersham Inn side entrance
Commemorative plague outside side entrance
- Sydney Heritage Listings
- Citadel Property Group newsletter
View the following historical photos from Noel Butlin archives at the ANU;
- The hotel in 1938
- Lounge Serving Bar
- Lounge Bar
- Public Bar
- Saloon Bar
More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.