Saturday, October 29, 2011
The Marlborough Hotel
The Marlborough Hotel site at 145 King Street Newtown has housed hotels since the 1860s. The first was the Daniel Lambert Inn which was replaced by another hotel to be called the Marlborough Hotel in 1901. The first Marlborough was replaced by the present Marlborough Hotel in 1940.
The hotel is part of an important group of interwar Hotels located on King Street, which also includes the Union Hotel and the Town Hall Hotel.
The building was designed by John M Hellyer. It is also known as "the Marley".
- Sydney Heritage Listings (incorrect architects name listed)
- Sydney Council heritage database (correct architect listed)
View the following historical photographs from the Noel Butlin Archives Centre at the ANU;
- Before rebuilding
- After rebuilding
More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.