Saturday, October 29, 2011
The Clarendon Hotel is located at 347 Hunter Street in Newcastle. It was purchased by Tooth & Company in September 1934 and sold in August 1985. On completion of rebuilding the Clarendon hotel in January 1943 the hotel was a three storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and an asbestos and malthoid roof.
The architects were Pitt & Merewether and the style was known as Art Moderne or P & O Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
The Australian National University has many interesting historical photos of Inter War hotels including the Clarendon hotel in the Noel Butlin Archives. Some examples of these can be found on the following links:
Upper lounge bar
More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.