Saturday, September 12, 2009
Demco Machinery Company
Located at 267 & 269-271 Cleveland Street Redfern the former Demco Machinery buildings occupy a site on the corner of Great Buckingham and Cleveland Streets adjacent to the Surrey Club Hotel.
The earlier building, at 271 Cleveland Street, was constructed circa 1911 as the Sydney Tobacco Coy Store which subsequently became John Barlow - Tea Merchants. Demco Machinery occupied the building from 1930.
The later building at 267 Cleveland St (cnr Great Buckingham) was constructed on the site of the former St Margaret's Hospital for Women Dispensary around 1940.
The entrance to the building is highlighted by a stepped parapet and wedge shaped frontispiece containing the building name - "Demco", flanked by ribbed rainwater heads, vertical glass panels on the stairwell, a projecting concrete awning and ribbed render columns that frame the entrance. The Buckingham Street building is a four storey interwar Functionalist style commercial building with concrete spandrel panels and large expanses of metal framed windows which continue around the corner which emphase the horizontal line.
Another view of the building
Source City of Sydney Heritage Listings
More Art Deco information can be found on the DecoWorks Pty Ltd website.